Questions concerning Security Log

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 19:57:51 UTC 2005

On Apr 7, 2005 12:08 PM, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Thanks. I tryed to edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and found that it is
> > either empty or does not exist. In emacs i just get a blank screen. So
> > maybe I don't even have ssh on this computer? I did a FC3 desktop
> > installation.
>
> Do you have openssh-server installed?
>
> $ rpm -qa 'openssh*'
>
> It sounds a bit strange that you should have sshd alert messages in your
> logs if you're not running an ssh server.
>
> See also what's listening on your ssh port:
> # netstat -nalp | grep :22
>
> >>3. Consider turning off password authentication altogether and using
> >>certificates instead.
> >
> > I will look into this. As far as I can see, I would need to purchase a
> > certificate?
>
> No, you generate them yourself.
>
> There's an introduction at:
> http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=OpenSSH
>
> Paul.
>

> Do you have openssh-server installed?
> $ rpm -qa 'openssh*'

I got nothing in return. After some time thinking, the prompt returned.

> It sounds a bit strange that you should have sshd alert messages in your
> logs if you're not running an ssh server.
> See also what's listening on your ssh port:
> # netstat -nalp | grep :22

I got this:
tcp        0      0 :::22                       :::*
     LISTEN      4428/sshd

I pasted it as it is into google and got no results, but I did not go
digging any deeper. I figure it would be best to ask here what this
means.

Just a little question. For the rpm you used $ as the prompt sign, but
for the netstat you used #. Any difference between them, in your
usage?

Thank you so much.

Dotan Cohen

http://Liriks-Song.com/