Gnome GUI seems slugish, any ideas or optimizations?

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 8 13:06:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 20:40:37 -0800
Kam Leo <kam.leo at gmail.com> wrote:

[Gnome sluggish, in particular gnome terminal)

> Zero cost options:  a) Reduce resolution, e.g. 1024x768
>                             b) Reduce color depth, e.g. 16-bit

For gnome terminal in partcular, don't use it.  Just set your default
terminal to be xterm instead.  Xterm opens instantaneously on even my
oldest systems.

(Even so, there may be something else causing the OP's problem.  On my
relatively slow laptop, gnome terminal opens in about three seconds.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!