Requesting Help

Jared Buck JBuck814366460 at aol.com
Sat Apr 9 05:06:29 UTC 2005

Compiling can be a daunting task for newcomers to Linux who are used to
installing things. It's not as hard as it looks.

First, you need to see if the program you are compiling came with a
configure file - if so, you type "./configure" at the linux console to
configure the program to get it ready for compiling.

Second, after that step, you type "make" to compile the source code and
get it to run.  Some programs also require a "make install" after this
step, you should check the documentation that came with the program to
see if this is a required step.

Compiling can take a while, depending on how many files the compiler's
putting together. Most of the time it takes about a minute, but it can
be longer, especially if you compile the Linux kernel by hand.

Jared