Help Needed configuring Samba on Webserver

Steve Fink stevef at netvantix.com
Sat Apr 9 14:41:12 UTC 2005

Tim,

Here are some URL's that will give you information on configuring Samba
to utilize your current Windows Domain Controller to authenticate your
users.

http://www.apcmag.com/apc/v3.nsf/0/AD34EE262A489808CA256E2A000997C3

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6347-5072177.html#

Here are some URL's that will give you information on replacing your
Windows Domain Controller and migrating the users.

I recommend reading this first one thoroughly it's got a lot of good
info.

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-
Collection/NT4Migration.html

http://samba.idealx.org/smbldap-howto.fr.html

I also would not recommend using FC for a long term production file
server due to the short life cycle of FC.

I would recommend trying one of the EL rebuilds.

http://www.taolinux.org
http://www.centos.org
http://www.whiteboxlinux.org

You need to evaluate these and see which one is right for you.

These are not as bleeding edge as FC, but have guaranteed updates for
many years to come.

I also went back and read several of your previous posts.

Upgrading from FC2 to FC3 is not recommended due to the major changes
between the two, that's not to say it doesn't work (mostly) but it's not
recommended.

Hope this helps,

Steve