Need opinion: miniDV camcorder + Firewire + FC 3

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Sat Apr 9 20:46:23 UTC 2005

Hello,
I am sorry if this is being a bit OT.

I am thinking of getting a digital miniDV camcorder for the first time. So
let's say I am absolutely clueless. I've never had to deal with Firewire
either. Although I've been doing linux sysadmin for a while, so I am not
afraid of tweaking and messing around with my system.

Basically, I just have couple questions.
1. Is Firewire / IEEE 1394 supported in FC 3 out of the box ?

2. Does it matter what kind  / brand of miniDV digital camcorder that I buy ?
ie. do the "transfer protocol" of any digital camcorder that use this IEEE
1934 differ from one brand to another, or they just basically the same ? If
they're the same, then it should not matter what brand that I buy because if
I can get Firewire support for one brand that means I can get it for any
brand. If they differs, any suggestions as to what brand works better with
linux / FC3, or even to be more specific, anyone has any good / bad
experience for connecting this device with FC 3 that you can share ?

Thank you in advance for any responds / comments / suggestions.

RDB

--
Reuben D. Budiardja
Dept. Physics and Astronomy