Questions concerning Security Log

Brian Gaynor briang at pmccorp.com
Sun Apr 10 02:17:49 UTC 2005

Exactly - you've reduced their bandwidth, exactly the same as the standard
logon daemon does - so many command line login failures and it sleeps for a
while. In a brute force attack bandwidth is key, reduce it and generally the
attacker will move to an easier target. The current crop of SSH script
kiddies will definitely move on.

A determined (and capable) attacker can always carefully time their attacks
(and use multiple IPs), but you've made it much harder (i.e. slower). So you
slow them down, you insist on good passwords, and you check your logs. And
if it's reasonable you change ports - but security through obscurity alone
is generally a Bad Idea.

Brian