mount fstab

thufir no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org
Sun Apr 10 06:18:42 UTC 2005

> paulh wrote:
> THUFIR HAWAT (thufir) wrote:
>
> > jim lawrence wrote:
> > hi all,I just want to make sure this line that I put into fsab is going to allow me to automount my  "D drive" and allow me to read & write to that drive without being root.
> >
> > here is my /etc/fstab file
> > [..]
> >
> > # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
> > /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> > LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> > none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> > none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> > none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> > none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
> > /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> > /dev/hda2		/mnt/hda2		vfat	auto,rw.user	0 0
> >
> > /dev/hdc                /media/cdrecorder       auto    pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,ro,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
> > /dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto    pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
> >

> > on boot the message "...bad option...bad superblock...too many..." flashes across too fast across the screen to get it all.  I edited the /etc/fstab to now boot /dev/hda2.
> >
> > err, is the problem that rw.user should be rw,user?
> >

> Yes, options should be separated using commas, not periods. The "auto"
> option is redundant because "auto" is the default. If you are the only
> user of this system, you'd be better off using options
> "uid=your-uid,gid=your-gid" (where your-uid and your-gid are your
> username and groupname respectively), so that it gets mounted at boot
> time and the files are all owned by you so you have permission to do
> what you want to them. In this case you wouldn't need the "auto" and
> "rw" options because they are the default, and you wouldn't need "user"
> because the filesystem would be mounted all the time and there would be
> no need for regular users to mount the filesystem.
>
> The approach would be different if there were different users of the
> system and you wanted each of them to be able to write to that
> filesystem at various times.
>
> Paul.

the fstab file:
[thufir at localhost ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 vfat auto,rw,user 0 0
/dev/hdc                /media/cdrecorder       auto    pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,ro,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto    pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
[thufir at localhost ~]$

on my gnome desktop panel is an icon of a hard drive:
disk mounter preferences: /mnt/hda2

clicking on it gives:

Canno mount device

Drivemount command failed.
"umount /mnt/hda2 2>&1" reported:
umount: only root can unmount /dev/hda2 from /mnt/hda2

what needs to be changed to get the icon to mount the vfat partition?

thanks,

Thufir

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org