LVM partitions on ax external USB HD

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Apr 10 12:46:57 UTC 2005

Antonio Montagnani wrote:
> I tried to install Fedora on an external USB HD.
> Of course booting from it didn't work.
> On the disk there are an ext3 partition /boot and a LVM partition
> If I connect the HD to a PC as USB device it is correctly mounted but I
> see only the ext3 partition.
> How can I see also the LVM???
>
> Tnx

 From an earlier posting someone suggested to run the following commands
to activate and later deactivate LVM volumes in rescue mode. I used
these commands on an external USB drive to get at data from a previous
installation and it worked. You might be able to get at your data in
this way.
Jim

Excerpt from earlier help.
Once booted into text-mode rescue, invoke the following commands:

lvm lvscan
lvm vgchange -ay

This will scan for all LVM volumes and then will make them active and
accessible.

lvm vgchange -an

will deactivate them all.