HP 5370C Scanner How to config?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sun Apr 10 12:51:15 UTC 2005

Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>> Bob Goodwin wrote:

>>> udevinfo -a -p `udevinfo -q path -n /dev/sg0`
>>>
>>> couldn't get the class device
>>

>> OK, try just:
>> $ udevinfo -q path -n /dev/sg0
>>
>> What messages appear in /var/log/messages when you plug the scanner in?
>>
>> Can you also post the output of:
>> $ ls -l /dev/s*
>>
>> And can you see if the scanner will work if you're logged in as root?
>>
>> Paul.
>>
> No,it does noy work as root.
>
> kudzu --probe shows the following:
>
> class: OTHER
> bus: USB
> detached: 0
> driver: hpusbscsi
> desc: "Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 5300c/5370c"
> usbclass: 0
> usbsubclass: 0
> usbprotocol: 0
> usbbus: 1
> usblevel: 1
> usbport: 1
> usbdev: 2
> vendorId: 03f0
> deviceId: 0701
> usbprod: Hewlett Packard ScanJet 5300C/5370C
>
> hwbrowser lists "Scanner" as device :  /dev/sg0
>
> But there is no /dev/sg0 in /etc/fstab or in the /dev/ directory.
>
> I'm not familiar with "udev" and don't know if these differences are normal?

Looks like I've been barking up the wrong tree. It seems that USB
scanner support doesn't use udev at all.

According to http://www.exactcode.de/oss/avision/index.html the
"avision" backend should provide at least limited functionality for your
scanner. See "man sane-avision" for details (you'll need to have the
sane-backends package installed).

P.S. Please don't post HTML to this mailing list.

Paul.