Recovering LVM

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sun Apr 10 20:44:47 UTC 2005

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 12:42:00AM -0500, Joe Dolence wrote:
> Well, I don't know what happened to my system (Fedora Core 3). It's been
> a few days since I've used it as I've been trying out Fdora Core 4 Test
> 1 on a another system. This evening, I tried to boot up the system with
> Fedora Core 3 on it, this is a dual boot machine with Windows XP (The XP
> part works).

<snip>

> I tried to boot with the Repair CD and see what I can do, There are 3
> partitions on the drive, the first is for Windows XP, the second is the
> /boot for the Fedora Core 3 installation and the 3rd is this LVM, I
> presume it's the rest of the Fedora Core 3 installation. I can mount the
>  /dev/hda2 partition and see the /boot directory, but I don't know how,
> if possible, to mount the /dev/hda3 (LVM) partiton, to try and "fix" it.
>
> Does anyone have any recommenatins on how to "repair" this situation? Or
> at least where I can look to find the answer. I've looked around for a
> few hours on the fedora list... searched google for info on LVM (I can't
> even seem to locate a man page for LVM, as I've run LVM from the rescue
> CD and could check out info on the LVM, but the help screen only shows
> the last 25 or so available "commands")... I saw a few items that looked
>  similar, but no references to dm-0 (what is that?) or how to fix this
> particular situation.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe
All sorts of LVM infoirmation can be gotten by googling LVN Fedora Core
3.

You know, Callahan's is a peaceable bar, but if you ask that dog what his
favorite formatter is, and he says "roff! roff!", well, I'll just have to...
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.