[Fwd: Re: Tablet PCs]

Matt Wringe mwringe at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 03:30:10 UTC 2005

>Thanks for the info..
>I am hoping to find someone with some sources for the tablet interface. I
>have also posted to the fedora-config-list in hope of finding more
>information.

Hi,

I am currently running FC3 on an HP Compaq TC1100 tablet pc. To get
the pen functioning I did had to install a special driver, so it is
possible to get a tablet running on linux. Most tablets will probably
need special configurations to get them working in linux, and what
needs to be done will most likely vary with each model.  Your best
option is to look around on the net for a site that decsribes how to
setup your particular tablet in linux and follow the instructions
there. It probably wont be just a one step solution. As I have already
done a lot of this stuff on my own tablet, if you have any specific
questions I may be able to help.

Once you do get the pen functioning, there are some nice programs  you
might want to look into:

-Gimp (www.gimp.org): excellent drawing program, and works great with
pressure sensitive pens

-XStroke (www.xstroke.org): full screen gesture recognition (like
graffiti on palm pilots)

-gournal (http://www.adebenham.com/gournal/): journal writting program

-Gok (www.gok.ca) or xvkdb(http://homepage3.nifty.com/tsato/xvkbd/):on
screen keyboards

Some other things you might want to know:
-there doesn't appear to be any open source handwriting recognition software
-on the fly screen rotation doesn't really exist yet
-a lot of tablet pc have software controls for their hardware. So
while I was able to get my pen working in linux, I am unable to turn
off/on my wifi card or change the brightness of my screen. Most normal
laptops have these functions controlled by using the keyboard.

If you have any other questions about using linux on a tablet, please
let me know.

Matt Wringe