avoiding mail loops in fetchmail

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Apr 11 12:06:16 UTC 2005

Ankush Grover wrote:
> My fetchmail configuration file
> poll mailserver  localdomains domainname
> user " "  with pass " " to * here flush
>
> I am having catchall mailbox (multidrop mailbox) what happens is that
> when there is mails for 2 or more users in the catchall box the mail
> recieved by the user is 2 or more means if there are 4 mails then each
> user will get 4 mails .I want to avoid mail loops.I have posted my
> fetchmailrc above .Please have a look at it and tell me how to avoid
> loops.
>
> I am using catchall for many users in my office and so I want to send
> the mails from the catchall mailbox to the respective users.

How does fetchmail know who to deliver the mail to?

Are you aware of the well-known issues regarding using multidrop
mailboxes like this with fetchmail (see the fetchmail man page)?
Basically, unless your MTA adds a suitable header (e.g. Delivered-To:)
to indicate the actual recipient of the email, or there is one already
there (e.g. a To: or Cc: header), it won't work.

Paul.