Commanding rc.local not to run at boot..possible.?

|TF20|Shockwave shockwave at clan-tf20.com
Mon Apr 11 15:42:35 UTC 2005

> Hi All,
>
> have a script in rc.local that hangs the machine at boot(I was seeing
> if the system here at home would do the same as my work PC, which it
> did, unfortunately).

I've had something very similar happen to me recently.  For the longest
time, I have had a firewall script that is launched from the rc.local file.
Sometime over the last couple of months, an update has caused the system to
hang during boot right at the point where the script is supposed to run.  It
doesn't happen  all the time, but it happens more often than not.  I did
some testing and noticed that the system was hung only as far as the console
was concerned.  I was actually able to SSH into it from another machine and
verify that it was functioning.  The strangest thing is that if I leave it
alone for about 20 minutes or so, the console gives me the login screen as
if nothing happened.

This happens with systems running FC2 and FC3.  The same script on several
RHEL v3 systems doesn't exhibit this problem.