grub stage 1.5 error 5 problem

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Apr 11 22:36:56 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 06:32:14AM +0000, Dave Stevens wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Recently I made some changes in my system in order to try a new
> distribution I hope to be able to use on old small computers. After the
> test I could no longer boot into FC3 on hda1. Grub starts up, gives a
> stage 1.5 notice then displays error 5. This seems to be generated by
> grub not being able to find a needed file. I am not sure what file or
> what to do about this.
>
> My system details:
>
> athlon 1 gig 512 megs RAM
> 1 9.1 gig Seagate scsi drive, sda (sda1) with a bootable Morphix system
> (Debian based, works ok) If I tell the BIOS to boot off SCSI this starts
> up.
> 1 Samsung 40 gig IDE as hda (hda1, hda2). hda1 marked as bootable has
> always worked ok before. Should be booting 2.6.9-1.667 which is where I
> was. BIOS was set to boot from IDE-0.
> 1 LG CDRW/DVDRW at hdb
> 1 Samsung 60 gig IDE as hdc (hdc1) was mounted under /home, all user
> data, all intact and accessible.
> 1 WD 1.6 gig IDE as hdd (hdd1) which was the test unit for the small
> system.
>

> I don't know where to go. I have been reading the GRUB manual but it is
> substantial and I have already tried what seems to me to be likely to
> not cause further problems and wiould prefer to have advice before doing
> anything likely to lead to data loss (of course k3b, my usual backup
> method) is not curently available.)

I would use the linux rescue disk to mount your / partition chroot to
that partition and run the following grub commands (maybe we should
see you grub.conf before we put money on this working);
grub
>root (hd0,0)
>setup (hd0)
>quit

"Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the
richest people in America.  If I'm not there, I go to work"
		-- Robert Orben
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University