Samba - How to debug

Mark Mecum (teknowiztx) no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org
Tue Apr 12 17:25:55 UTC 2005

I am attempting to bring up samba with the following objectives:

1] resolve names and provide browse lists by acting as wins server on small home network (with multiple potential segments)
2] provide security for shares with encrypted passwords for users.
3] Enable user on linux server to browse windows pc's and manipulate files dependent upon permissions of that share (and uid/pw) and vice versa.

so far I am only able to see the linux server in the network neighborhood from one pc (using account on it as secondary admin), from other user pc, can see shares and transfer files.

>From the linux machine, I am unable to browse the network at all.  entering specific server and shares states folder cannot be displayed.

Through Firestarter, I have opened the ports both inbound and outbound for samba.  I have noticed I am getting a curious packet from the win clients (all xp professional) on port 32829 that ethereal calls a sun rpc portmap??

All users are in smbusers with pw matching windows pw.  My smb.conf file is as follows (some comments removed for brevity):
# This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
#======================= Global Settings ==================
[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
        workgroup = txmcm

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
        server string = Orion Samba Svr

        hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.

# if you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        load printers = yes

        cups options = raw

# Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to /etc/passwd
# otherwise the user "nobody" is used
;  guest account = pcguest

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
# all log information in one file
#   log file = /var/log/samba/smbd.log

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
        max log size = 220

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
# Use password server option only with security = server
;   password server = <NT-Server-Name>

# Password Level allows matching of _n_ characters of the password for
# all combinations of upper and lower case.
;  password level = 8
;  username level = 8

# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
# ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
# Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
  encrypt passwords = yes
  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
  unix password sync = Yes
  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
  passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*

  username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

# Configure remote browse list synchronisation here
#  request announcement to, or browse list sync from:
#    a specific host or from / to a whole subnet (see below)
        remote browse sync = 192.168.0.101 192.168.0.255
# Cause this host to announce itself to local subnets here
        remote announce = 192.168.0.255

# Browser Control Options:
# set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
# browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
   local master = yes

# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
# allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
# if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
        domain master = yes

# Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on startup
# and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
        preferred master = yes

 name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS Server
        wins support = yes

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
#       Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
;   wins server = w.x.y.z

# WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
# behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
# at least one  WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
;   wins proxy = yes

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
# this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
        dns proxy = no

#======================= Share Definitions ================
        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
        idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
        template shell = /bin/false
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        winbind use default domain = no
;       security = user
;       encrypt passwords = yes
;       guest ok = no
;       guest account = nobody
[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        browseable = yes
        writeable = yes

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        browseable = yes
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
        printable = yes

[mcm]
        path = /home/mcm
        writeable = yes
        valid users = mcm
        browseable = yes

[llm]
        path = /home/llm
        writeable = yes
        browseable = yes
        valid users = llm, mcm

[rem]
        path = /home/rem
        writeable = yes
        browseable = yes
        valid users = mcm, rem

[mitch]
        path = /home/mitch
        writeable = yes
        browseable = yes
        valid users = mcm, mitch

[public]
        comment = Folder for public transfers
        path = /home/public
        writeable = yes
        browseable = yes
        guest ok = yes

<eof>

All help and suggestions appreciated.  (yes I have read many of the How-to's as well as some doc I have on the system re Samba.  I must be missing something easy here.

Thanks,

Mark

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org