When exactly does yum do it's job?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Apr 12 18:08:31 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 13:58 -0400, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> I did a `yum check-update` this morning when I woke, i saw several
> packages available for update although I have the yum service turned on,
> and my pc had been on all night. I went to work and then cable back for
> lunch, same packages are available. When exaclt does the yum 'nightly'
> service do it's thing?
>
> Just wanted to know, thanks.

The nightly yum job is called from /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron

This file runs yum twice, once to update yum itself and then again to
update everything else. The -R parameter is used to add a random delay
so that the various mirrors aren't all clobbered at once by every Fedora
system on the Internet. The first session has an up-to-10-minute delay
and the second has an up-to-2-hour delay. So the yum session that does
most of the work will run between 0 and 130 minutes after yum.cron is
called.

yum.cron is called from cron.daily, which in turn is run
from /etc/crontab at 4:02am local time by default.

So the answer to your original question is "roughly sometime between 4am
and about 6:15am".

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>