Does FC3 issue halt to Athlon XP cpus when idle?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Apr 13 02:07:32 UTC 2005

Am Mi, den 13.04.2005 schrieb Dave Jones um 3:45:

>  > For my current workstation dual Athlon board I build the amd76x_pm
>  > module (Joerg Sommery posted his code on the Linux kernel mailing list)
>  > and am using that module. It works great.

> Be aware that there have been reports of systems locking up when
> under load when these modules are loaded.  It seems to be completely
> random, and not specific to any particular chipset/board combination.
>
> 		Dave

Hello Dave!

You comment on the "amd76x_pm" module or all the tools to change the
chipset behaviour to include idle tasks?

So far I can report the amd76x_pm module doing not any problem to me.
The system is rock solid under load (i.e. last night I did build the new
FC3 kernel for my FC2, and prior other compilations). Temperature is
going down in range of max. 20°C to 10°C when the module is loaded. What
I observed - like Joerg Sommrey reported - are distortions in TV image
running xawtv. So I am unloading the module if TV isn't just "background
noise". Generally I load the module by modprobe.conf with

options amd76x_pm lazy_idle=128

or set the lazy_idle value by hand with

echo 128 > /sys/devices/pci0000\:00/0000\:00\:00.0/lazy_idle

The distortion effect got better with change to current 2.6.11-1.14
kernel.

Since 2 months running this module I had not any looking up of my system
which is an ASUS A7M266-D board with the AMD SMP 760MPX chipset. And my
machine is running day & night and often for about 14 days in a run.

I tried other tools too and you are right Dave, some of them can cause a
lookup even in moment you start the tool. That was the case for me when
recently testing "athcool"

http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/jacobi/linux/softwares.html#athcool

In general, the power supply must be quite stable as it might not like
the frequent power consumption changes well.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 03:51:06 up 1 day, 31 users, load average: 0.44, 0.71, 0.71