Firewall/VPN recommendations for small business?

Nick Phillips nphillips at jesna.org
Wed Apr 13 15:01:22 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I'm doing research for a new firewall purchase for a small non-profit -
roughly 50 users. We need roughly 10 VPN connections. We're currently using
iptables on a Fedora box, but the new management would like something with
corporate support options, so the Linux firewall will become the internal
network firewall, and we'll be implementing this new firewall as the
bastion. I'm looking into Cisco PIX firewalls, Checkpoint, Juniper networks,
and Sonicwall, but with the marketing mumbo-jumbo it's hard to work out what
the benefits of each are. Does anyone have any real-world experience with
any of these firewalls, and if so, would you be willing to share your
stories? I'd much appreciate some experienced points of view.

Regards,

Nick Phillips

JESNA IT Coordinator