Anyone have the Nvidia driver working in 2.6.11-1.14_FC3?

Neal Wilkinson forums.lists at comcast.net
Wed Apr 13 18:45:33 UTC 2005

Jonathan Berry wrote:

>On 4/13/05, Neal Wilkinson <forums.lists at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Brian Gaynor wrote:
>>

>>>I have the latest nVidia driver (7174) working fine with
>>>2.6.11-1.14_FC3smp, video is a GeForce FX 5200Go. Installed using the
>>>stock nvidia-installer.
>>>

>>I tried it a good bit yesterday. It said that it wasn't compatible with
>>the kernel but was building a module. Then it said to modify the
>>

>You'll never find a pre-built kernel module.  There is no way nVidia
>can support all kernel versions out there.  Building the module should
>work just fine with the newest (7174) drivers.  Also, you should only
>have to modify the xorg.conf once if you don't change it.
>

>>xorg.conf which I did. Fails on boot, saying it can't find the .ko but
>>it is there, although it is in a different location that with the
>>previous kernel. I can boot 770 with the xorg.conf I created and the
>>driver works fine so that isn't the issue. Did you get any errors or did
>>your install go fine?
>>

>This seems to indicate that you didn't install it for the new kernel.
>Unless you use some of the advanced options, installing for the new
>kernel should have uninstalled it for the old kernel.  You have a
>couple of options:
>
>1. Boot the old kernel and install the nVidia drivers with the -k
>option to install for the new kernel.  You can also install just the
>kernel module by using the -K option.  Use the -s option and it won't
>bring up the UI or ask you any questions.
>sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run -k 2.6.11-1.14_FC3 -K -s
>
>2. Boot the new kernel to run-level 3 and install the nVidia drivers.
>
>This should work.  If it does not, please send us details about what
>didn't work.  Saying that the module is there but in a different
>location is rather vague.  Where exactly is it?  What errors (exactly)
>are you getting if any?
>
>Jonathan

Ok...here we go.
I have version NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run installed and running
in the 770 kernel. I've tried to install
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run in 2.6.10-1.741_FC3 and the following
happens.

I end the session and go to a console login.
login as root
cd /home/neal (where the file is)
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run
message that the same version is installed, would I like to remove it
and install again. I answer yes.
then says it must download a kernel interface and says no matching one
was found
then it builds the kernel module and says its done
then it uninstalls the driver and re-installs it
then says its done please go update xorg.conf etc. if needed
then when I reboot I get an error when it should load the driver which
says nvidia.ko not found and it loads a generic driver.

Does this help? Thanks!

Neal