Anyone have the Nvidia driver working in 2.6.11-1.14_FC3?

Wed Apr 13 19:19:01 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 15:08 -0400, Neal Wilkinson wrote:
> Marc Schwartz wrote:
>
> >Neal Wilkinson wrote:
> >

> >>Ok...here we go.
> >>I have version NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run installed and running
> >>in the 770 kernel. I've tried to install
> >>NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run in 2.6.10-1.741_FC3 and the following
> >>happens.
> >>
> >>I end the session and go to a console login.
> >>login as root
> >>cd /home/neal (where the file is)
> >>sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run
> >>message that the same version is installed, would I like to remove it
> >>and install again. I answer yes.
> >>then says it must download a kernel interface and says no matching one
> >>was found
> >>then it builds the kernel module and says its done
> >>then it uninstalls the driver and re-installs it
> >>then says its done please go update xorg.conf etc. if needed
> >>then when I reboot I get an error when it should load the driver which
> >>says nvidia.ko not found and it loads a generic driver.
> >>
> >>Does this help? Thanks!
> >>
> >>Neal
> >>

> >Sorry for jumping in a bit late here, but all initial steps sound proper
> >and the last problem sounds like the udev issue which has been
> >referenced previously.
> >
> >Review the steps on this page:
> >
> >http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/udev/
> >
> >Scroll down to the nVidia section towards the bottom of the page and
> >follow the two steps there. That should solve the re-boot problem. I
> >don't remember, but you may have to redo the nVidia installer one last
> >time after the above steps.
> >
> >Then the only other time you would need to redo the nVidia installer is
> >if you boot a new/different kernel.
> >
> >I have the 7174 driver (using the nVidia installer) running just fine
> >with the latest 2.6.11-1.14_FC3 kernel.
> >
> >HTH,
> >
> >Marc Schwartz
> >

> I have the current udev installed so it should be ok, right?
>
> Installed Packages
> Name   : udev
> Arch   : i386
> Version: 039
> Release: 10.FC3.7
> Size   : 1.3 M
> Repo   : installed
>
> reference to nvidia on that page look like in relation to an older
> version. Thanks.

Neal,

One would think so. I made that change some time ago and don't recall
which version I had at the time. I have:

$ rpm -q udev
udev-039-10.FC3.7

The changelog for the above shows:

$ rpm -q --changelog udev
* Tue Mar 08 2005 Harald Hoyer <harald at redhat.com> - 039-10.FC3.7

- renamed dvb to dvb0
- fixed #150533
- set dri permissions to 0666

which does not seem to fully address the issue referenced on the
aforementioned web page. #150533 is a scsi issue.

I guess that I would try it and see what happens.

Since you previously had the nVidia driver working, I presume that you
had already made the requisite changes to xorg.conf, so that should not
be an issue.

One thing to check. Can you run X with the nVidia driver right after
using the nVidia installer?  If so, and the problem only occurs after a
re-boot that reinforces the udev issue as the source of the problem.

HTH,

Marc