dammit, let go, xmms!

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 13 19:50:13 UTC 2005

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:00:14 -0400
Douglas Frank <frank at zk3.dec.com> wrote:

> Thanks to a lister, I've been introduced to the wonderful (if overly
> complex and non-intuitive setup) world of xmms.

> I can now listen to music w/o that hiss I complained of a few days ago,
> which no combination of kmix and kscd would get rid of.

If you're using a desktop, you *might* be able to correct this hiss by
rerouting/reconnecting the audio cable between your CD-ROM drive and your
sound card.  Others have suggested that moving the sound card to a
different slot might help.

> Just one thing: when a CD finishes, I can't get the tray open.  Even if
> I kill xmms, the door-opener button won't function.  (It will eject via
> the kdesktop icon however.)

Are you sure that it's XMMS holding the CD in - especially after you
*quit* XMMS?  Is KDE trying to autoplay/automount the audio CD (making it
"in use")?   I use Gnome here, and in the Gnome control panel there
are a few entries regarding what to do with audio CDs.  There's probably
something similar in KDE.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!