Anyone have the Nvidia driver working in 2.6.11-1.14_FC3?

Neal Wilkinson forums.lists at comcast.net
Wed Apr 13 21:00:24 UTC 2005

Marc Schwartz wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 15:08 -0400, Neal Wilkinson wrote:
>

>>Marc Schwartz wrote:

>>>Sorry for jumping in a bit late here, but all initial steps sound proper
>>>and the last problem sounds like the udev issue which has been
>>>referenced previously.
>>>
>>>Review the steps on this page:
>>>
>>>http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/udev/
>>>
>>>Scroll down to the nVidia section towards the bottom of the page and
>>>follow the two steps there. That should solve the re-boot problem. I
>>>don't remember, but you may have to redo the nVidia installer one last
>>>time after the above steps.
>>>
>>>Then the only other time you would need to redo the nVidia installer is
>>>if you boot a new/different kernel.
>>>
>>>I have the 7174 driver (using the nVidia installer) running just fine
>>>with the latest 2.6.11-1.14_FC3 kernel.
>>>
>>>HTH,
>>>
>>>Marc Schwartz
>>>

>>I have the current udev installed so it should be ok, right?
>>
>>Installed Packages
>>Name   : udev
>>Arch   : i386
>>Version: 039
>>Release: 10.FC3.7
>>Size   : 1.3 M
>>Repo   : installed
>>
>>reference to nvidia on that page look like in relation to an older
>>version. Thanks.
>>

>Neal,
>
>One would think so. I made that change some time ago and don't recall
>which version I had at the time. I have:
>
>$ rpm -q udev
>udev-039-10.FC3.7
>
>The changelog for the above shows:
>
>$ rpm -q --changelog udev
>* Tue Mar 08 2005 Harald Hoyer <harald at redhat.com> - 039-10.FC3.7
>
>- renamed dvb to dvb0
>- fixed #150533
>- set dri permissions to 0666
>

>which does not seem to fully address the issue referenced on the
>aforementioned web page. #150533 is a scsi issue.
>
>I guess that I would try it and see what happens.
>
>Since you previously had the nVidia driver working, I presume that you
>had already made the requisite changes to xorg.conf, so that should not
>be an issue.
>
>One thing to check. Can you run X with the nVidia driver right after
>using the nVidia installer?  If so, and the problem only occurs after a
>re-boot that reinforces the udev issue as the source of the problem.
>
>HTH,
>
>Marc

Ok...I'm sure this won't make sense but its working now. Here is what I
did.
It wasn't finding the nvidia.ko the only different in this one and the
770 kernel was the inside of /video/ there was a seperate /nvidia/
directory with the ko inside it. I made one and moved the ko file there.
Then restarted and the machine hung at the point the driver was to load.
I rebooted and I came up to a console login. I removed the driver and
then installed it there and now all is well. I really hate something
being fixed and not knowing why. Anyway, I'm glad its working. Thanks
for the help.