Anyone have the Nvidia driver working in 2.6.11-1.14_FC3?

Neal Wilkinson forums.lists at comcast.net
Wed Apr 13 23:53:29 UTC 2005

Marc Schwartz wrote:

>SNIP
>

>>Ok...I'm sure this won't make sense but its working now. Here is what I
>>did.
>>It wasn't finding the nvidia.ko the only different in this one and the
>>770 kernel was the inside of /video/ there was a seperate /nvidia/
>>directory with the ko inside it. I made one and moved the ko file there.
>>Then restarted and the machine hung at the point the driver was to load.
>>I rebooted and I came up to a console login. I removed the driver and
>>then installed it there and now all is well. I really hate something
>>being fixed and not knowing why. Anyway, I'm glad its working. Thanks
>>for the help.
>>

>Neal,
>
>A possibly dumb question, but as they say the only stupid question is
>the one that goes unasked.
>
>When you tried to install the 7174 driver as above the first time "for
>the 2.6.10-1.741_FC3 kernel", had you actually booted that kernel, or
>were you still running the 770 kernel?
>
>This sounds like you were still running the 770 kernel and trying to
>install the nVidia driver for the other kernel. That won't work.
>
>You need to be running the kernel that you want to install the driver
>for at the time. This is why you won't be able to use the nVidia driver
>if you boot a new or different kernel relative to the last time you used
>the nVidia installer.
>
>The one inconsistency here is that usually when this situation occurs, X
>won't run at all and you are left at a text console login prompt after
>some initial error messages and prompts about wanting to diagnose X
>problems and logs, etc.
>
>I don't know if the Livna RPMS overcome this problem, but that may be a
>possibility. Someone else here may know.
>
>BTW, for the latest kernel, the nvidia.ko file is in:
>
>/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.14_FC3/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko
>

>Marc

Nope, I wasn't running 770. I did go back to 770 to check and see if it
worked there which it did but then I went back to the new one. I also
noticed the location was
/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.14_FC3/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko/  vs
lib/modules/2.6.11-1.14_FC3/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia/nvidia.ko on
770. That is why I changed it just to see if it would help. When it
booted directly to the console login I'm guessing it couldn't find
anything but I don't know why it then worked after installing it again.
I'm still very linux challenged so I could miss something obvious I'm
guessing. Thanks again.