odd line in dmesg

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Wed Apr 13 23:59:32 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 17:17 -0400, jack wallen wrote:
> i've been getting this line repeated in dmesg quite a bit.
>
> drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: input irq status -84 received
>
> in fact it's pretty constant. if i get out of the graphical login screen
> and just sit at the command prompt it just keeps on repeating.
>
> so:
>
> a) what is this error from
> b) how do i get rid of it?

    Me, too; you'll also notice it every time you drop to a console
(like when things go awry and you really need to see what you're doing!)

    I've looked at the source code tree, seen where it reports the
message, but I never learned what mask a -84 relates to.  I've taken
various USB peripherals off, even changed out the hub hoping it might
solve it....I just got used to it.

    I'm not sure why THIS message seems important enough to go to the
console, since I've had it 2-3 years and it's never changed
anything...and posting to the list turned up less than Google...

Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller