kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 and vmware 4.5

Robert Locke lists at ralii.com
Thu Apr 14 13:02:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 22:49 -0600, kwhiskers wrote:
> On 4/13/05, Robert Locke <lists at ralii.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 19:38 -0600, kwhiskers wrote:
> > > Just did an update of the kernel and everything went smoothly, as
> > > always. Have the nvidia driver directly from nvidia. Very reliable.
> > >
> > > But then I noticed that KNemo was showing my vmnet1 and vmnet8 icons
> > > greyed out. No problem, had forgotten to run the vmware-config.pl
> > > script. Ran it, was told the new kernel was compiled with gcc 3.4.3
> > > and I have 3.4.2. Sure enough, after doing an update of the system,
> > > the new gcc-3.4.3 arrived.
> > >
> > > Well, tried to reconfigure vmware using the proper gcc, and I get this error:
> > >
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > Any ideas? The new kernel was compiled with a gcc that is not the one
> > > that has been released? So, where do I get the right gcc?
> > >

> > Just dealt with this earlier this morning.  You now have the right gcc,
> > but apparently some things changed in some header files with the new
> > kernel.
> >
> > I downloaded the latest vmware update from:
> >
> > http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/vmware-any-any-update90.tar.gz
> >
> > Once I installed that, the compile went smooth.....
> >
> > --Rob

<reordered posting>

> I hate installing these fixes that come from 'somewhere'. I know that
> this guy had the fix when udev didn't work with vmware (I never needed
> it, however, because I figured out that the stop script was missing
> from rc.d/init.6, and also that udev could be make to learn about the
> vmnet* devices).
>
> So... I guess it's probably ok. Now he has the gcc fix.
>
> Thanks for the help. Have just downloaded it.

Actually the "somewhere" is one of the VMWare developers - though I
never understood why his stuff wasn't hosted on the VMWare site....

Like you, I have been running fine without the patches from him until
this latest kernel.  Like you, a simple chkconfig --reset and the cp
command from the RELEASE-NOTES made everything happy, until this latest
compile problem.

> ***
>
> Wonder how much longer vmware 4.5 will run on fedora anyway. Knowing
> the lifetime of commercial software, nice as it is, it was likely a
> waste of money. I only use vmware to run Corel Photo Paint (and Draw
> sometimes). Gimp is such a nuisance, with all those windows that open
> up and you can never get it to do much.

I just ordered the VMWare 5 upgrade (I think it was released last week),
but I think I may wait to make the switch until I upgrade to FC4, once
that is released......

--Rob