autoloading sg driver during boot

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Thu Apr 14 15:39:13 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:

> Right, so this one's the autochanger. Try creating
> /etc/udev/rules.d/10-custom.rules containing the following line:
>
> BUS="scsi", SYSFS{vendor}="EXABYTE*", SYSFS{model}="EXB-210*",
> NAME="sg%e", SYMLINK="autochanger%e"
>
> Then see if you get the right device nodes created next time the SCSI
> card module is loaded.

No luck.  I tried it exactly the way you typed it above (although, it
should be NAME="sg%n" to be consistent with default way of nameing sg
devices).  However, this only gets executed after sg module is loaded.
If it is not loaded on boot, no device nodes are created.

So I still need to perform "modprobe sg".  It's still usefull feautre
however, so that my autochanger name isn't going to change if I add some
more SCSI hardware in the future.  I've modified it a bit so that my
rules are creating only symlinks, and default rules take care of actuall
sg nodes (and hopefully using type=8 is the right way to detect
autochangers):

BUS="scsi", SYSFS{vendor}="EXABYTE*", SYSFS{type}="8", \
    SYSFS{model}="EXB-210*", SYMLINK="ez17changer%e"
BUS="scsi", SYSFS{type}="8", SYMLINK="autochanger%e"

So I get something like this:

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     3 Apr 14 10:25 autochanger -> sg0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     3 Apr 14 10:25 ez17changer -> sg0
crw-rw----  1 root disk 21, 0 Apr 14 10:25 sg0
crw-rw----  1 root disk 21, 1 Apr 14 10:25 sg1

I'll stick with invoking modprobe from rc.local, since it seems to be
the only way around this, and will use the udev rules to ensure "static"
nameing for tape library (so that it doesn't change if I add SCSI disks
and/or change SCSI IDs)...