Apache webserver outage - need help with forensics

Bob Brennan rbrennan96 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 16:00:23 UTC 2005

On 4/14/05, replies-lists-redhat at listmail.innovate.net
<replies-lists-redhat at listmail.innovate.net> wrote:

> i haven't been following this in great detail, so this may have been
> mentioned already.
>
> if there are issues with high machine load http connections won't
> close. when that happens you'll hit the maxclients level and your
> http server will stop accepting connections.
>
> if you (as appears to be the case) aren't monitoring things like your
> machine load (yet) you can look in your /var/log/maillog file for
> high load hints during this incident. sendmail (but not postfix) will
> stop accepting mail when the load gets above a certain point (default
> is 12 i believe). when this happens it writes that to the maillog
> file.

I suspected this too since it is a somewhat ram-poor machine and I had
just started up spamassasin which is a known resource-hog.

I can see all emails that went through plus those that got
spam-bucketed, not a lot (single digits per hour) and no problems
recorded. Mail volume was down for those 20 minutes onlly because most
users depend on squirrelmail which was obviously down at the time.
Test emails from dnsCheck (instigated by me) did get recorded during
the outage.

If sendmail does in fact log a high load condition then that rules it
out since there is no record.