help with USB drive

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Thu Apr 14 16:38:21 UTC 2005

ehemdal wrote:

> mkdir /media/usbdisk
> chmod 777 /media/usbdisk # setting permissions for ease of use
> mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /media/usbdisk

I'd suggest doing a tail -f /var/log/messages  while plugging the
device. This way , you'll know for sure if it's recognized as sda or sdb
(in my computer , I never got any pendrive to be recognized as sdb , but
yesterday on my friend's computer , his pendrive was recognized as sdb ,
even though it was the only USB/SCSI device).

> If you have a USB disk that is an NTFS volume, I am not sure how far
> you can get, because I haven't worked on NTFS support. But I found I
> could build a new filesystem with
>
> mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sda
>
> Then it was easy to mount.

If it's NTFS volume , then he'd need the NTFS module , available on
livna and on the NTFS project homepage
(http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/).  All instructions needed are
available on the NTFS project homepage.

--