Network problems

Thomas E. Dukes edukes at alltel.net
Thu Apr 14 17:51:56 UTC 2005

  _____

From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Marc M
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 1:38 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: Network problems

Are the lights on, on the switch's ports that you are using?   Have you
rebooted the switch?   Are you able to connect with other machines or ports
(say  a laptop)?  Is the light working on the nic?  Cabling good?  If you
have multiple nics you should stop/start them and see if you can get one to
work, sometimes one works when another won't.  service network stop, ifup
eth0, ifup eth1, etc.   Look at your dmesg and see whether it finds your
eth0 or eth1, that'd be nice to know....

Yes, the lights are on.  I have rebooted the switch and modem numerous
times. The lights are on the nics are on, too.  I have swapped cables with a
known good cable, same result.  No PC connected to the network has internet
connectivity either.  I have connected two windoze pc's directly to the
modem and they connect.  I have connected the FC2 pc directly to the modem
(tried each nic) but it won't connect.

Looked at dmesg but do not see anything for eth0 or eth1.

If you are able to narrow it down to the one FC2 box (and within the os),
then I would say that lastly you should run a chkrootkit utility on the box
to see if you have been own3d.

What is own3d?

Thanks

Cheers