BUG: check your ntpd, it may be dead

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 22:17:46 UTC 2005

On 4/14/05, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 22:16 +0100, David Fletcher wrote:
>
> > I just did a service restart and everything said OK.
>
> Do an "/etc/init.d/ntpd status", mine crashes even though it says OK
> when starting up.

This is the (inconsistent) behavior that I'm seeing.  It fails to
remain running more often than not, but running "service ntpd restart"
then checking with "service ntpd status" over and over will eventually
get it running.

> Which kernel are you using?
>
> See the bug report again, apparently upgrading to the latest FC3 kernel
> update will kill ntpd (at least on some machines, if not all).

This seems to be the case.  I can't report on the behavior of ntpd on
previous kernels, but I did update to 2.6.11-1.14_FC3smp on April
12th.  I've not looked at the behavior of nptd under the uniprocessor
kernel (but others here seem to be experiencing the issue with that,
as well).

--
Chris

() ASCII Ribbon Campaign!