Migrating from Mandrake to Fedora (RFC Ignorant)

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Apr 15 07:45:47 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 20:58 +0100, Robert Slade wrote:
> The use of the rfc-ignorant.org blocking list is a very strange thing to
> do. For example it listed the co.uk TLD because UK law (not just a
> request for comments etc) made it illegal to publish names and addresses
> without permission.

The problem is that as far as I know, Nominet does not provide a means
of *giving* permission to publish this information and become RFC-
compliant.

For this reason, despite being a UK citizen, I have chosen to use a .org
domain for my personal use rather a .uk domain.

> In other words rfc-ignorant considered that Law does
> not apply,

Your information is out of date. The RFC upon which rfc-ignorant's whois
zone was based (RFC 954) was superseded by RFC 1032, which does not
require the publication of accurate contact details for a domain. So
"uk" is no longer listed. See: http://lists.megacity.org/pipermail/rfci-
discuss/2004-October/003094.html

> and you could undertake illegal activity such as spamming
> (which is illegal in the UK and most of Europe) provided you complied
> with the rfc.

rfc-ignorant.org is about following the interoperability rules of the
Internet. It is nothing to do with spamming.

> In addition, most major Euopean ISPs do not have an
> abuse at domain either but prefer to use web based systems

Thus making victims of abuse by their customers jump through hoops to
report the problem.

> so the Op will not accept mail from them.

Understandable. I personally find that I'd have to whitelist too many
domains to use the "abuse" zone, which is regrettable. However, I do use
the "postmaster" zone as the whitelist I need for that is a bit more
manageable. It would of course be better if these ISPs acted more
responsibly and had working postmaster/abuse addresses.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>