Using apt dist-upgrade

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 15 13:12:00 UTC 2005

On Friday 15 Apr 2005 1:53 pm, Sean O Sullivan wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
> > Is it easier now to use apt to upgrade the OS?  I'd really like to see
> > this become a lot easier in future versions of FC.  Has this been
> > worked on?
>
> Depends on who you ask, I mensioned my bad experience before (with apt
> in general), and usually stick to yum/smart, however some swear by it ....

I use apt regularly and generally get on better with it that yum (I find the
apt frontend synaptic very good). I think most problems probably come from a
poor choice of repositories to use with it, not apt-get itself. If you have
conflicts you can run into problems, but then also I think with yum.

> It's possible to do, but prepared to do some hacking to get things
> working I suspect

Not really any more than with yum though. With both you have to decide which
repositories to use and in both cases edit some config files accordingly...

Chris