OffTopic--Linux Certification-Novell/CompTIA etc

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Apr 15 13:30:06 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 05:15:00PM +0900, Mark Sargent wrote:
> how well does it stack up in the real world..? Lets say a person walks
> into an interview and possesses LCP from Novell and/or another from
> CompTIA. Would that person have a better chance than the next person
> with equal experience, but no cert..? Kinda curious if I should look at
> getting cert before trying for jobs, albeit, a long while off yet or
> just pumping for experience, experience, experience. Cheers.

I have no idea about the LCP, but the "Linux+" thing from CompTIA is a joke,
or at least was when I took it (maybe it's improved by now). Even if it has
improved, it's still just a multiple choice test, and I don't place much
stock in it. RHCE, though, I take seriously, because it has a lab-based
portion which you can't really fake or cram for. And hey, this is a Red
Hat-related list, so that's probably the most relevant anyway.