Using apt dist-upgrade

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Apr 15 14:04:17 UTC 2005

> Mark Haney wrote:
>
> > Is it easier now to use apt to upgrade the OS?  I'd really like to see
> > this become a lot easier in future versions of FC.  Has this been
> > worked on?
> >
> Apt4RPM is unmainted by upstream developers who have switched to
> Smartpm(.org).
Wrong. apt4rpm is maintained (By Richard Bos and by me).

Apt-rpm has has less attention than before, because the principal apt-
rpm maintainer is the author of smart. That does not mean apt-rpm is
unmaintained. It's just that a person's focus has changed.

He just has released a new release, a couple of weeks ago.

>  So Fedora development is going to concentrate on
> supporting a live upgrade, then yum is likely to be a better choice than
> apt.
True, except that yum has not yet reached a shape to be usable for "live updates".

Ralf