Getting Root mail in normal e-mail client

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Apr 15 15:08:48 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:
> Robin Laing wrote:
>
>> Paul Howarth wrote:

>>> Your mail server was probably using the unresolvable domain name
>>> "localhost.localdomain" for outgoing mail. No properly-configured mail
>>> server should be accepting mail from unresolvable domain, so it's likely
>>> that all you need to do is to get your server to use a real domain name,
>>> even if it's something like blah-12.34.56.78-isp.net.
>>>
>>> Paul.
>>

>> I agree that it is partly FQDN, at least at home.  At work all our
>> workstations are real domain names.  The issue is the mail server will
>> not forward/relay mail with these domain names
>> XXX.YYY.DRDC-RDDC.gc.ca.  All mail must come from @DRDC-RDDC.gc.ca.  I
>> can ping my computer using just it's first name with no problem from
>> any work station and I have a public IP address.
>

> So that's an additional requirement enforced by the company mail server.
>  Not much you can do about that.

True.  They are the ones that came up with the procedure for
configuring sendmail.

>> At home, I cannot get FQDN as the DHCP name keeps changing by the IP I
>> am assigned.  I haven't looked further than mail refused for this
>> reason.  I would have to change the domain name on all the computers
>> at home and do it dynamically.
>

> How often does the IP change? An option that might work for you in lieu
> of a real domain name would be to use one of the dynamic DNS services
> that provide a fixed hostname that maps to your dynamic IP. You run a
> client of some sort on your computer to keep the service updated with IP
> address changes.
>
> Alternatively, you could use genericstable entries to map the sender
> addresses for your outgoing mail onto the actual email addresses of the
> people that use your computers, so that their mail goes out wit hthe
> right address.
>
> Paul.

Is this a need for a mini-howto?

It changes about every 2 days to prevent server stuff being run from home.

I have looked at a dynamic DNS system and this may be the way in the
future.  At present I don't really care as I sort of like having all
the system mail separate from my Internet mail.

After I do a full rebuild with FC4 I will be looking at the dynamic
DNS sites.  (For another reason).

I just wanted to show that there are different problems associated
with getting mail out.  Some of it beyond a users control.
--
Robin Laing