LVM partitions on ax external USB HD

Antonio Montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Fri Apr 15 14:16:18 UTC 2005

John Austin wrote / ha scritto on /il 12/04/2005 12:07:

>On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 09:22 +0200, Antonio Montagnani wrote:
>

>>Rick Wagner ha scritto / wrote  il / on 12/04/2005 00:53:

>>>Since no one else has answered, I'll take a stab.  I have used LVM on several
>>>permanent hard drives, but never on removables.  However I think what your
>>>looking to do is a udev script.  Check out the information on udev.  Also
>>>look for hotplug.
>>>
>>>What you'll want your script to do is upon detecting the plugging of your USB
>>>drive, it will want to scan (vgscan/lvscan) the drive for LVM volumes, then
>>>activate the volume (vgchange/lvchange --available=yes).
>>>
>>>I'm not sure what you want to do for unplugging.  I expect that you'll need a
>>>script to flush then deactivate the volumes prior to pulling the plug on the
>>>drive.
>>>
>>>As I said, I don't know much about hotplug and udev, but this may give you
>>>some additional search hints.
>>>
>>>	--rick
>>>

>>Rick,
>>
>>Tnx for you reply.
>>
>>There are two separate issues:
>>
>>1) how to manage a LVM partitioned removable device (USB hard disk, key
>>etc.): does it make any sense to have them partitioned as LVM??
>>2) how to install Fedora on a removable device (USB hard disk, for
>>example) and boot off it (with Grub installed on it, in order to have a
>>removable Fedora installation for every occasion)
>>
>>I have not enough skill to solve them. Any idea??
>>
>>--
>>Antonio M.
>>

>Hi
>I may be able to help with the second question
>I have a pdf document which I can email direct if you want
>Let me know
>John
>

>>================================================================================

John, your server bounces me back as spammer!!!! I have an e-mail about
this subject.

Please read the following :

 >> Hi John,
 >>
 >> I have followed all instructions (that are very clear, Tnx a lot),
but after Grub installation, I re-booted the laptop, but It didn't start
from USB removable device!!! and is supports it (As from BIOS and from
manual: never tried to start by USB devices before this installation)
 >> I unplugged also the USB drive lead and re-plugged while booting.No
way of USB booting.
 >> Any suggestion??
 >> This afternoon I will plug the USB disk to another PC to see what
happens.Please note that my USB disk is an EIDE disk inside an EIDE to
USB metallic box.

 >> Cheers
 >>

 > Hi Antonio
 >
 > First question did you get a grub> prompt ??
 >
 > I am assuming NOT !
 >
 > This next bit is going to be added to the pdf doc sometime!!!!

I followed your paper (the only difference was different order of sda
for /boot(sda1), /(sda2), swap (sda3), but I changed related
references): and I arrived very smoothly to exit instruction at end of
point 3.3.5, but I couldn't reboot. I also re-plugged the USB disk
during boot but no way (see 3.3.6)

 > Its not ideal but should get you up and booted on the USB without
 > touching any other disk.  It will also help to test if all is well on
 > the USB disk
 > This does assume you have access to a Linux box to write a floppy and/or
 > a CD
 > ##################################33
 > I have an Icybox USB2/SATA to PATA box with an old IDE disk in it which
 > works fine, so that is probably not a problem
 > ######################################
 > If you have a floppy drive on your machine you can use it to boot grub.

No floppy available

 > I attach a floppy image that you can write to a blank
 > floppy as follows
 > dd of=/dev/fd0 if=fd0_grub.img
 > Then set the BIOS to boot from floppy
 > You should then get a raw grub prompt to type in
 > something like
 > grub>kernel (hdx,y)/vmlinuz..  ro  root=/dev/hdpq
 > grub>initrd (hdx,y)/initrd... (the original one not the USB )
 > grub>boot
 >
 > Obviously you should also be able to see if the initrd_usb.gz is there
 > etc
 > ###############################
 > If your machine has no floppy then I also attach a raw bootable ISO CD
 > image.  It has nothing on it except an image of the floppy.
 > It should boot OK and give the grub> prompt just as the floppy.
 > I used xcdroast to write the image.iso file to CD
 >
 > Also tested out direct use of cdrecord
 > cdrecord -scanbus
 > will show cd/dvd devices
 >
 > cdrecord dev=ATAPI:1,0,0 speed=8 image.iso
 > ATAPI: may not be necessary depending how your cd/dvd is treated
 > 1,0,0 to match the output of -scanbus above
 > No problems
 >
 > When booting from CD BIOS understanding of the disks
 > and that of Linux may not be the same as booting from USB !!!
 > Finding how grub sees the devices is easy
 > kernel (hdTAB     etc
 >
 > The value needed by root=/dev/sdXX may require trial
 > and error !!!!

If I succeed to start interactively by CD, if I write a
/boot/grub/grub.conf, should I be able to start up by same CD???
I suppose that if I connect same USB disk to another laptop, chances of
insuccess are great....what do you think???

--
 Antonio
Mail by Thunderbird 1.0.2 - Websurfing by Firefox 1.0.2