Using apt dist-upgrade

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Fri Apr 15 15:48:27 UTC 2005

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 19:52 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>

>>Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>>He just has released a new release, a couple of weeks ago.
>>>

>>I had that impression through previous discussions related to it in
>>Fedora devel list and the fact the issues like multilib is/was there for
>>a long time
>>

>Yes, apt still is not able to handle RH multilibs.

I dont think multi libs is specific to RH. can you clarify that
specifically?

>Well, 95% of the issues wrt. upgrading RHL/FC are packaging bugs. These
>affect all upgrading tools, such as up2date, apt, yum, smart and
>anaconda.

well if you know of specific issues you could file them against specific
packages or if you can suggest any specific procedures to follow that
improve the packaging process, I am pretty sure a discussion could be
started on Fedora devel

>So far, I have been able to successfully upgrade my systems from RH-8.0
>through FC3. All experiments to do the same with yum, so far have failed
>or had proven to perform unacceptable.

Well I have personally managed to do that so its possible though it
might not work for all scenarios

>Don't get me wrong, IMO, yum is gradually improving and has evolved to
>acceptable shape as far as "keeping systems up2date" is concerned, but
>it is still at least one magnitude behind apt elsewhere.

It would be fair to allow a chance for the yum developers to respond to
these issues. So a post to the fedora devel or yum lists would be
appropriate

>I prefer a tool that refuses to remove packages in case of conflicts
>(yum/apt), others wondered why "this'n'that" packages suddenly vanished.
>
>Ralf

Yes. I would agree with that. we had a user complaining about it pretty
recently in Fedora devel

regards
Rahul