FC3 Wireless "Profiles"

Chris Stark cstark at hawaii.edu
Fri Apr 15 18:16:47 UTC 2005

On Thursday 14 April 2005 10:18 pm, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 18:21 -1000, Chris Stark wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I'm not sure if this has been discussed to death or not, but I'm having a
> > bear of a time finding any info on the topic. Is there any way in FC3 to
> > create "profiles" for multiple wireless networks?
> >
> > I connect via wireless in 3 different environments (work, school, home)
> > during the course of any given day, and all three have different
> > settings. It would be nice if I didn't have to re-enter the WEP keys (or
> > erase them) every day just to get connected.
> >
> > I've looked a little at NetworkManager, but I haven't been able to find a
> > whole lot of info there either. BTW I'm a KDE user, if it makes a
> > difference.
>
> NetworkManager is what you want.
> I don't know if it has a KDE counterpart to the gnome applet, but the
> gnome applet should work in KDE.

Hi again,

I installed NetworkManager and the service is set to run at boot, and I also
have the NetworkManagerInfo applet running in my KDE system tray. So far,
I've only been at home since posting my initial query. But what I've run into
even dealing with only a single wireless network is that upon rebooting, the
NetworkManagerInfo applet just sits there "scanning".

Unless I actively click on the systray icon and enter a new ESSID and WEP
info, it just pertutually sits there with its animated radar sweep. Also, It
doesn't seem to matter if I use a hidden or broadcast ESSID from my WAP. It
won't "auto-connect" because it seems to have forgotten the settings I
entered previously.

At this point, I still have to manually enter my wireless network settings
everytime I reboot because it seems that NetworkManager isn't saving its
settings. Is there a config file somewhere that's not being written to? Is
this the way this application is supposed to work? Is there some file
somewhere where I can enter all my wireless settings manually?

I'm assuming that NetworkManager is supposed to bring a little more
convenience than what I'm encountering right now. Does anyone have any tips
how I can troubleshoot this further?

Aloha,
--
Chris Stark