Need help getting clamav working

Saurabh Barve sa at atmos.colostate.edu
Fri Apr 15 21:34:37 UTC 2005

Bob Brennan wrote:

>>posted
>>highly

>>-----------
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>This will help you set up Dag Wieer's repository:
>>
>>http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#B
>

> That's the best bet yet Saurabh, thank you!
>
> Here's what's worked (so far)
> 1. follow Dag's link to install apt-get
> 2. apt-get update
> 3. apt-get install clamav
> 4. service clamd start
> 5. service clamav-milter start
>
> ...and now all the config files and freshclam seems to be as
> advertised so I can get on with testing and configuring.
>
> Thanks again Saurabh, Paul, and Alexander (and Dag!)
> bob

This thread got me to try and get clamav working on my machine as well.

I changed settings in sendmail.mc, and in /etc/sysconfig/clamav-milter.
Here is the socket line in in /etc/sysconfig/clamav-milter:
'local:/var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.sock '

And generating the sendmail.cf file after making changes to the
sendmail.c, I get this in the sendmail.cf file:
'Xclamav, S=local:/var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.sock,F=,T=S:4m;R:4m'

But when I did 'service clamav-milter start', I kept getting this error:

Starting Clamav Milter Daemon: clamav-milter: socket-addr (
local:/var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.sock) doesn't agree with sendmail.cf
                                                            [FAILED]

I don't get this. It looks to me that the path to the socket file is the
same in both the files.

I then read this in a post on the clamav mailing list:

"
I had to modify this line in my /etc/rc.d/init.d/clamav-milter file:

CLAMAV_FLAGS=' --external -lo /var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.sock'
"

I tried this advice as well, but I still keep getting the same error.

Saurabh.