How can i change the email address logwatch emails from?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Apr 16 06:19:08 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 01:18 -0400, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> LogWatch is emailing me from root at localhost.localdomain, and this seems
> to causing problems with the spam filter of the email address  I'm
> sending it to. How can I change this to something more acceptable?

What is the result of hostname?

on my box -

[mirror at utility ~]$ hostname
utility.mpeters.local
[mirror at utility ~]$ grep "utility" /etc/hosts
192.168.15.2            utility.mpeters.local utility
[mirror at utility ~]$

make sure that HOSTNAME is set in /etc/sysconfig/network
It would be a good idea to have your hostname specified in /etc/hosts

I also have mine specified in my caching nameserver, but that isn't
necessary if it is in your /etc/hosts file - because your /etc/hosts
file will be consulted first.

If that is not possible (ie dhcp) just having the hostaname set
in /etc/sysconfig/network might be good enough.

At any rate - my logwatch stuff on that box comes from

root at utility.mpeters.local

In my spamassassin config for user who gets roots mail - I have
(in .spamassassin/user_prefs )

whitelist_from *.mpeters.local

(that account gets all logs from all my systems)

SpamAssassin knows to not flag them as spam.
They actually never even get to SpamAssassin because procmail filters
them first, but any mail on my lan system that doesn't get filtered for
whatever reason would never be flagged as spam because of the whitelist.