Network Problems

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Apr 16 14:15:13 UTC 2005

Am Sa, den 16.04.2005 schrieb TE Dukes um 15:34:

> > > Local machines on the internal network cannot connect.  Strange thing is they can ping internal and
> > > external IP addresses.  Samba services are working.
> >
> > Indicates the LAN clients don't have valid DNS settings. Check and
> > correct them. Either a local DNS or your ISP's DNS server IPs are
> > required.

> I assign static internal IPs to the local machines.  Server is 10.10.0.1
> and the others 10.10.0.2, 10.10.0.3 and 10.10.0.4 with the Gateway as
> 10.10.0.1.
>
> For the DNS servers, I use my ISPs servers, 166.102.165.15 and
> 162.39.164.14 for all machines.

You said you can ping IP addresses in the net and get back a pong on the
LAN client hosts, correct? But if you ping a host by name in the
internet that fails? On the client then test DNS:

dig google.com +trace

Btw. 162.39.164.14 does not resolve my requests (only when using dig
with +trace). That can be the problem.

> ifconfig reports:
[ snipped ]
> Anything here that's incorrect?

Looks ok.

If above is not leading to success. Does connections to named internet
hosts from the gateway host itself work properly? Then check your
firewalling.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 16:07:46 up 4 days, 12:48, load average: 0.21, 0.24, 0.27