[FC3] How to get bluetooth to work?

Steve bassix at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 16:50:18 UTC 2005

On 4/16/05, VB <vboyt at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am running Gnome.  I was thinking of installing
> gnome-bluetooth but don't know if this will allow me
> to use hcitool or if I would have to do all my
> bluetooth related actions through gnome-bluetooth??

Hi VB,

I'm relatively new still to linux and fedora, but this is what I've
been able to do with my desktop and a bluetooth USB dongle, using
gnome-bluetooth:

1) usually I have to hotplug in the dongle (not a big surprise,
sometimes need to do that in xp too).

2) I have to set my bluetooth devices (cellphone and PDA) to be
"visible"... still haven't figured out proper pairing yet. :-)

3) in "System Tools - Bluetooth Manager" you should be able to now see
your device(s).

4) then click on "System Tools - Bluetooth File Sharing" (a little
bluetooth icon should then appear on your gnome panel).

5) now I can send any files from my computer to either device (by
right-clicking on a file).

I still haven't had time to figure out any more functions but this got
me started and did what I initially needed to do. I hope maybe that
helps.

-Steve.

--
Mozilla Firefox -rediscover the web-