kernel 2.6.11-1.14-FC3 no more power down

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 19:07:25 UTC 2005

On 4/15/05, tranchemer stephane <stephane.tranchemer at devinci.fr> wrote:

> >> Tryed to use the acpi=force option, but noyhing changed.
> >>
> >> Tryed to use the on/off button to shutdown the computer and had the
> >> same result,
> >> no powering off after hard disks parking, the computer is like dead
> >> (no more
> >> screen, hard disks stopped, but power still on)
> >
> > The on/off button should work always as long as you hold it down for 4
> > seconds or so.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ed.
> >

> Yes, right ....
>
> But this is not exactly what one is expecting when trying to get the
> computer shutting down itself.
>
> The moreover, when you have a computer room and you pressed once a
> button to get the computer shutting down and turning off safely and now
> having to shutdown and pressing each button for 4 seconds (or more) to
> get off each of them.
>
> The point is between 2.6.10-1.770-FC3 and 2.6.11-1.14-FC3 the power off
> behavious changed and doesn't work anymore.

Well, this seems to be a periodic problem on some hardware.  It's an
issue with ACPI.  Some kernels don't work right with some hardware and
don't turn off power to the computer automatically.  Your computer is
completely shut down, it is just failing to turn off.  I had this
problem with the early FC3 kernels on one of my computers.  If you
don't need ACPI, try adding "acpi=off" (without quotes) to the GRUB
kernel line.  This will enable APM, which may succeed in turning off
your computer.

Jonathan