dhcp evils

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Sun Apr 17 04:25:49 UTC 2005

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005, Brian Truter wrote:

> On 4/16/05, Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
> > Recently my computer seems to have had
> > a name transplant.
> > When things I working right, it thinks
> > its name is a combination of its IP
> > address and cableone.
> > The current name, the output of hostname,
> > is one that I'd previously only seen when I'd
> > booted a kernel that wouldn't talk my
> > ethernet card.

> You will find the logs in /var/log
>
> Your DHCP client messages would be in /var/log/messages

Thanks.  I had looked there before, but that was before I
knew to look for dhclient instead of dhcp.

Alas it didn't solve the mystery, to wit,
where is stmike coming from?  I suspect that I
will never solve the mystery of where it came
from originally, but I would dearly like to
know where it is being stored.
What I don't want to do is just find a way
to force the hostname to be something else.
That wouldn't tell me what is going on.

I'm pretty sure my setup is supposed to get the
hostname through through dhcp.  That is the way
it worked when I first managed to connect it
to the internet.

Ideas anyone?

--
Mike   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES.  *I* ONLY TURN UP ONCE."  --  Death