Help Getting Root's email to recipient

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Apr 17 14:32:14 UTC 2005

On Sun April 17 2005 10:12 am, Paul Howarth wrote:

> The "MX host" is the mail server (and there may be several) that handles
> incoming mail from the Internet for the domain you are sending the mail
> to. Most servers will refuse mail from unresolvable domains because it's
> impossible to send a reply or bounce back.

Hope this is not straying too far off subject, but you raise some thoughts. By
implication, I guess the fact that my ISP's mail servers are accepting my
forwarded sendmails is an indication that their mail servers are
mal-configured? I'm doing a fairly simple thing - I run a script every five
minutes; it starts up sendmail; it then runs a little script called gotmail
which goes out to my hotmail account and forwards, then deletes, all messages
in that account; once the hotmail actions are complete, the last command is
to stop sendmail. This generates a flood of chron-job mail messages to root
which I alias to myself, then use the .forward to send to my regular email
account where it's easy to filter and delete them automatically.

Anyway, all this by saying that the messages appear to be coming from
root at viewridgeproductions.com to my ISP's mail server, but that's not a
registered domain, so no possibility of reverse look-up. So, I'm assuming
that ISP's try to resolve addresses of mail that's coming in, and bounce
unresolvable addresses, as a safety practice? Do I have this all right? And
if they're not doing this, what does it mean if they are permitting mail
that's coming from unresolvable addresses....

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA