Help Getting Root's email to recipient

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Apr 17 15:20:57 UTC 2005

Am So, den 17.04.2005 schrieb Claude Jones um 16:32:

> Hope this is not straying too far off subject, but you raise some thoughts. By
> implication, I guess the fact that my ISP's mail servers are accepting my
> forwarded sendmails is an indication that their mail servers are
> mal-configured? I'm doing a fairly simple thing - I run a script every five
> minutes; it starts up sendmail; it then runs a little script called gotmail
> which goes out to my hotmail account and forwards, then deletes, all messages
> in that account; once the hotmail actions are complete, the last command is
> to stop sendmail. This generates a flood of chron-job mail messages to root
> which I alias to myself, then use the .forward to send to my regular email
> account where it's easy to filter and delete them automatically.

While I do not fully understand what you are doing there with the
script, I think you should spent some efforts to improve the script or
mechanism to not produce the amount of unwanted cronjob messages. Sound
like big nonsense to run a script every 5 minutes which produces a bunch
of error mail messages, then to forward them to a different account
where to silently delete them. Be friendly to your and your internet
partner (ISP et al.) resources.

> Anyway, all this by saying that the messages appear to be coming from
> root at viewridgeproductions.com to my ISP's mail server, but that's not a
> registered domain, so no possibility of reverse look-up. So, I'm assuming
> that ISP's try to resolve addresses of mail that's coming in, and bounce
> unresolvable addresses, as a safety practice? Do I have this all right? And
> if they're not doing this, what does it mean if they are permitting mail
> that's coming from unresolvable addresses....

You are correct, that not accepting mail by unresolvable domain
addresses reduces spam.

http://www.sendmail.org/m4/features.html
  -->
accept_unresolvable_domains

See how that feature is commented in the sendmail.mc Fedora's Sendmail
is shipping with:

dnl # We strongly recommend not accepting unresolvable domains if you
want to
dnl # protect yourself from spam. However, the laptop and users on
computers
dnl # that do not have 24x7 DNS do need this.
dnl #
dnl FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl

> Claude Jones

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 17:13:36 up 5 days, 13:54, load average: 0.36, 0.18, 0.11