Help Getting Root's email to recipient

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Apr 17 17:08:23 UTC 2005

On Sun April 17 2005 11:20 am, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> While I do not fully understand what you are doing there with the
> script, I think you should spent some efforts to improve the script or
> mechanism to not produce the amount of unwanted cronjob messages. Sound
> like big nonsense to run a script every 5 minutes which produces a bunch
> of error mail messages, then to forward them to a different account
> where to silently delete them. Be friendly to your and your internet
> partner (ISP et al.) resources.

My fault. Here, from the GotMail home page:

"Gotmail is a perl script to download mail from hotmail.com without user
interaction. It is probably best run from a cron job."

That's what it is. It uses Posix and SendMail, apparently. It goes out to my
hotmail account, gets the messages, forwards them to my regular email
address. Here's a sample message that it generates each time it runs:

Starting sendmail: [  OK  ]
Starting sm-client: [  OK  ]
Gotmail v0.8.2    Copyright (C) 2000-2003 Peter Hawkins
Gotmail comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details.

Getting hotmail index page...
Processing java check....
Logging in...
Following redirect...
Going to Inbox Page: http://by21fd.bay21.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/HoTMail
$folder_index_url->/cgi-bin/folders?
Processing Folder: "Inbox", Total messages: 0, Unread messages: 0.
Processing Folder: "Sent Messages", Total messages: 0, Unread messages: 0.
Processing Folder: "Drafts", Total messages: 0, Unread messages: 0.
Processing Folder: "Junk E-Mail", Total messages: 0, Unread messages: 0.

All done!
Shutting down sendmail: [  OK  ]
Shutting down sm-client: [  OK  ]

I don't see anything to tell me that these are 'errors' as you suggest. Am I
missing something? I check this very often, because this happens to be an
account that I use for extensive tech-support in my business, and I'm often
in dialogue with someone, and on deadline, and prompt receipt of replies is
important to me. If there's a way to 'silently' execute the cronjob without
resultant messages, I'm all ears. This is the GotMail home page, if anyone is
interested, though it appears to be broken today - none of the links seem to
be working:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gotmail
I could post the perl script, but it's rather long, so I'll hold off unless
someone would like to see it.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA