Feedora doesn't recognize modem

linux at flippingdades.com linux at flippingdades.com
Sun Apr 17 20:27:14 UTC 2005

Hi,
With the help of this list, I'm progressing with my attempt to install
and use Fedora.

Now I'm hung up on the modem. I'll deal with the sound card problems
later.

Configuring the modem with the network config wizard results in the
message: "No modem was found on your system". Continuing allows me to
install a "Generic Modem" but when I try to activate it, I get:

"Failed to activate with error 2"

Running from a live CD of MepisLinux, I can connect to the internet via
dial-up. I assume this proves that I do not have a WinModem. Is this
correct?

Running from the live Mepis CD, the command lspci returns a list that
includes:

0000:0011.6 Communications controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. Intel 537
[AC97 Modem] (rev 80)

I get the same thing with lspci in the installed Fedora system.

With the live Mepis CD and the modem working, the QUERY button in modem
setup gives this:

ATI:  56000
ATI1: Soft Modem, 2.9.6 Smart Link Ltd
ATI2: Soft Modem, 2.9.6 Smart Link Ltd