Help Getting Root's email to recipient

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Apr 17 23:01:57 UTC 2005

On Sun April 17 2005 06:42 pm, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> You are right, there are many different opinions about one single thing.
> As Matthew said, you need a local MTA running to get mails i.e. the
> daily logwatch report. As not everybody does need an MTA services to be
> reached from outside the MTAs Fedora ship with are configured to only
> accept connections from the machine itself on which they run. For
> Sendmail this is done by
>
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
>
> in the sendmail.mc. Ok, if someone hacked your host and you didn't keep
> Sendmail up to date with security updates it may be possible that the
> attacker can get root permissions through a local vulnerability of
> Sendmail.

I'm not sure what an MTA is, but I'll keep this post to refer back to another
day.  Logwatching is not something I've really delved into much, yet, except
to look at my firewall logs regularly.

> You say you don't get any mail any longer or just those from your
> cronjob which runs every 5 minutes? Check your maillog if you miss
> mails.

Mail services are working perfectly. The mail from my Hotmail account arrives
just like before - all my regular pop accounts are working perfectly. The
only thing that has stopped are those annoying 'activity reports' from the
cronjob.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA