problem with yum update

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Apr 19 07:24:02 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 00:14 -0700, Kam Leo wrote:
> On 4/18/05, Levent <levent at levent.web.tr> wrote:
> > it is related with rpm not yum.
> > rpm hangs on errors related with ldconfig.
> > try defining alias for ldconfig in your .bashrc
> >
> > alias ldconfig='/sbin/ldconfig &> /dev/null' or any other thing
> > to bypass errors ldconfig generates on stdout.
> >
> > Yuandan Zhang wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, I am usi ng yum to update some rpm for FC3 and got following warnings
> > > what is the problem? how to fix?
> > >
> > > YD
> > >
> > > Running Transaction
> > > Updating: libgcc 100 % done 1/61
> > > /sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libkabc_slox.so.0.0.0.#prelink#.f3SGCS
> > > is empty, not checked.
> > > Updating: libstdc++ 100 % done 2/61
> > > /sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libkabc_slox.so.0.0.0.#prelink#.f3SGCS
> > > is empty, not checked.
> > > Updating: libgcj 100 % done 3/61
> > > /sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libkabc_slox.so.0.0.0.#prelink#.f3SGCS
> > > is empty, not checked.
> > > Updating: alsa-lib 100 % done 4/61
> > > /sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libkabc_slox.so.0.0.0.#prelink#.f3SGCS
> > > is empty, not checked.
> > >

> The file was probably left over from a previous installation and not
> deleted.  You may have just this one or possibly more such files on
> your system.  I suggest that you clean up your system by creating a
> temperory directory and move all "#prelink" files that currently exist
> in /usr/lib into it.  For example:
>
> # mkdir ~/prelink-leftovers
> # mv /usr/lib/*#prelink* ~/prelink-leftovers
>
> Once you have determined that the "#prelink#" files are not required
> just delete the entire directory, i.e.,
>
> # rm -rf ~/prelink-leftovers

I'll add that this is much better advice than the previous suggestion of
throwing away all of ldconfig's error messages by sending them
to /dev/null. This advice fixes the actual problem rather than putting
your head in the sand and pretending it doesn't exist. Moreover,
throwing away the error messages would mean that any serious errors
would be hidden from you too.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>